The Vision of the PCH District is to be the
Best Place to Get Care and the Best Place to Give Care.
Patient Rights and Responsibility
Notice of Rights and Responsibility as an Inpatient and Grievance Procedure
You Have the Right to:
- Make decision regarding your own healthcare.
- Considerate and respectful care and to be treated with honesty and dignity.
- Discuss with your primary physician your diagnosis, the treatment prescribed for you, the prognosis of your illness, and any instructions required for follow-up care.
- Receive from your physician information necessary to give informed consent prior to the start of any procedures and/or treatments.
- Refuse treatment to the extent permitted by law and be informed of the medical consequences of your decisions.
- Expect your personal privacy to be respected and your individual dignity to be preserved.
- Expect that all communications and records pertaining to your care be treated as confidential.
- Access the information contained in your medical record.
- Expect the hospital to provide reasonable access to care within its capacity, without regard to race, color, creed, national origin, diagnosis, age, sex, handicap or ability to pay.
- Know by name the physician, nurses and staff responsible for your care and their professional status.
- Obtain information about any relationship Pender Community Hospital and your physicians have with other institutions and physicians as far as your care is concerned.
- Refuse to participate in research projects.
- Expect reasonable continuity of care.
- Examine and receive an explanation of your bill.
- Know what hospital rules and regulations apply to you as a patient.
- Request a consultation or second opinion from another physician or specialist at your expense.
- Change physicians.
- Change hospitals.
- Have a family member, other representative, and your family physician notified when you are admitted to the hospital.
- Grant or refuse immediate access and visitation by immediate family, other relative, and non-family visitors.
- Expect reasonable safety as far as the hospital practice and environment are concerned.
- Be free from physical restraint, seclusion and drugs used as a restraint, unless your medical condition warrants such use and other less restrictive interventions have been deemed to be ineffective.
- Be free of any restraint used as a means of coercion, discipline, convenience or retaliation by staff.
- File a grievance with Pender Community Hospital.
- File a grievance with the Nebraska Health and Human Services System-Regulation and Licensure-Medical Facilities Credentialing.
Mail to: P.O. Box 95007,
Lincoln, NE 68509-5001.
Phone: (402) 471-7278.
- In the case of a complaint of discrimination on the basis of handicap with the US Department of Health and Human Services-Office of Civil Rights.
Address: 601 E. 12th Street, Room 248
Kansas City, Missouri, 64106.
You have the Responsibility to:
- Accept the consequences of your actions if you refuse treatment or do not follow the instructions of your caregivers.
- Give cooperation and follow the care prescribed or recommended for you by your physician, nurses, or allied health professionals.
- Provide your caretakers with accurate and complete information about present complaints, past illnesses, hospitalizations, medications, and other matters relating to your health.
- Notify your physician or nurse if you do not understand your diagnosis, treatment, or prognosis.
- Accept financial obligations associated with your care and fulfill them as promptly as possible.
- Know and follow rules and regulations.
- Inform hospital personnel of your Advance Directive.
- Advise your nurse, physician, or Patient Representative of any dissatisfaction you may have in regard to your care at the hospital.
- Be considerate of the rights of other patients and hospital personnel and assist in the control of noise and the number of visitors you receive.
- Respect the privacy of your roommate.
- Grant immediate access to any representative of the Secretary of the Department of Health and Human Services.